The BUTCHART family set sail on Oct. 1, 1825, from the Scottish port of Cromarty on the ship "Planet" for Caracas, South America with three children, Annie 11, Jean "Jane" 13 and James 3. They were part of a hardy band of Scots who were enticed by the glowing advertisements of the Columbian Company to begin a new life. After 13 weeks during which many nasty storms were encountered and many passengers became ill, and a prolonged stay in Maderia, they landed in Caracas. Here two more siblings were born, Edward (1826) and May (1827). Soon after their arrival they realized the seeds they brought with them were not suitable to that climate, the customs and language did not coincide with Scottish ideals. After a stay of 16 months in the area of La Guayra, now part of Venezuela but then was Columbia, the British Consul had them sent to Philadelphia, U.S.A. The Peter BUTCHART family was with the first contingent on the boat called the "Eliza Pigott".
The Governor of Upper Canada gave instructions that they were to be sent on to Little York, where the land was being given free. Since most of them were destitute after using up all their resources to sustain them in La Guayra, they were enticed by the Canadian Company and John Galt to come to Guelph.
In early August 1827, the "La Guayran Settlers" arrived in the Guelph area only to find the land was not free and was still covered with bush. However, Peter BUTCHART and his family of six children settled just north of Guelph on lots 1 (34 acres) and 2 (32 acres), con. 2, Division D with the river running through it. Here two more children were born, Helen "Ellen" (1929) and John (1931).