A Century of Sports
Paisley Lacrosse Team 1907
Front row; Jimmy Forrester, Billy King, ?? Flood
Middle row; Stanley M. Gill, Frank Boyle, Alex Hopper, Alton Sheppard, Lauchie Brown
Back row; Jim Ellis, Archie Sinclair, Dave McGill, Dr. Marrs (Dentist), Norman Sheppard, Frank McClure, ?? McCutcheon
From the earliest days of Paisley, sports seem to have been in evidence among the citizens. News items in old copies of the Advocate make reference to football and cricket as probably the first sports to be competitive. Other than these references we have been unable to obtain anything more specific.
Advocate, May 21, 1885:
Advocate, _Iune 11, 1885:
Advocate, june 18, 1885:
Advocate, August 13, 1885:
Handed down by the Indians, this was one of the early field sports. At the turn of the century, records indicate that good lacrosse teams were in the field. There were ten men to a team: goal, first and second point, point and cover point, centre, first and second home, inside and outside home.
Angus McKinnon, who learned lacrosse in Paisley, went on to play with St. Simon’s of Toronto, which won the Canadian championship.
The accompanying picture shows a team in which Teddy Ellis, goal tender, Ab. Archer, home, and Lou Rankin, point, are still living.
See Hockey was the Game section.
For a few years, this was a popular pastime in the village. Two notables were Bill and Ab. Archer who went to Sarnia and won the all-Ontario Championship.
In past years, tennis was more popular than it is at present. The first of the tennis courts was located in Ballachey’s Grove (behind the residence of Ralph Anderson). There were courts on some of the more spacious lawns, such as the one on the “Flood” property where the new fire hall is built. A Court on the east side of Knox United Church was popular for a time. At the present time there is no tennis court in the village.
The Caledonian Society
In July 1948, at the Bruce Old Boys’ Reunion, Caledonian games were the main feature of the celebrations. (George Grant and Earl Rushton went to Toronto to secure the services of an expert to direct the games.) A special souvenir programme was printed befitting the occasion.
(Click on Book cover to see inside)
Bruce League Baseball Team 1929
Baseball succeeded Lacrosse as a field sport. In the “big days” of baseball the Bruce League consisted of teams from Southampton, Port Elgin, Chesley, Paisley, Walkerton, Kincardine and Lucknow.
In 1927, the Paisley team won the Bruce League Championship.
Each town featured ball games in which teams of the Bruce League competed, when it celebrated a statutory holiday. In Paisley, baseball day was Victoria Day, May 24.
At one time the team’s mascot was a goat, owned by Harry McGregor. The goat was the target of much razzing by opposing teams.
Among the names prominent in Paisley Baseball are: Oliver Seiler, Borden Gregg, Ivan Parker, Dr. G.H. McKee, Bruce McKenzie, Harvey Grant, Clifford Tanner, Doug. Cottrill, Oscar Hopper, Harold Scott,
The curling rink was built along with the present Arena in 1948, and the club was formed in that year, with the first presidents being Mrs. Marie Stoddart and Mr. Stuart Howe. During the first year the curling was done on a sheet of ice under the seats. Mr. Lorne Evans was the first Secretary Treasurer. The ladies club was formed in 1957. The club house was built in 1960. The first rocks bought were all matched rocks from Scotland. Each year besides the regular schedule of curling events the club holds men’s, ladies, mixed, and invitational mixed bonspiels. Mrs. Lily Brown, and Mr. jim Hope are this years presidents.
Paisley Lawn Bowling Club
Submitted by John Vanderplas
In 1910 the bowling green was located on the property now occupied by jack Worthington.
In 1934 the present bowling green behind the Oddfellows Hall was prepared. In later years the Oddfellows sold the property to the Bowling Club for one dollar. Club officers at the opening of this location were:
In the early days bowlers travelled by horse and buggy to Owen Sound, stayed overnight and returned home the next day.
The spring Meeting of 1959 voted to build a new club house. The Committee in charge was: W. Gregg, B. Pickard, R. McAllister, J. Vanderplas, P. Cutter, L. McClure.
Since 1960 a new lighting system for both the green and the club house was effected. Changes have been made in the design of the clubhouse.
Both Men’s and Ladies Clubs have memberships of forty bowlers each.
The Paisley Snowdrifters
Submitted by Mrs. Carl Weins
On june 22, 1970, a meeting was held of interested parties to discuss the ways and means of forming a snowmobile club. They also met with neighboring municipalities. The following week the Paisley Snowmobile Club was formed with the following executive:
The members joined the Ontario Federation of Snowmobiling. A set of rules was drawn up to protect both the public and the snowmobiler. At the time it was decided to have marshalls for the club to look after any complaints from the public regarding snowmobiles. During the first year club crests were designed by Raymond Moffatt and we adopted the present name of “The Paisley Snowdrifters”. As a club we sponsored trail rides and cook-outs.
In the season of 1972-73 the first Mid Georgian Bay All Stock Championship races were held and repeated in 1974 with great success.
A snowathon was held in January of 1974 with charitable donations going to different organizations. At the dance which followed our first Snowmobile Queen, Laura Bennett, Paisley, was chosen and crowned.
The aim of our club is to have groomed trails and a club house. We recommend that safety is basically a matter of using good common sense.
|Return to top of Page||Return to top of Page|