Health Services


Medical Doctors

Paisley’s first doctor was Dr. Crawford (Isabella Valancy Crawford's father) who settled in Paisley in the summer of 1857. From then until 1876 there were several doctors, namely, Hill, McLaren, Baird, Passmore and O’Reilly. In 1876 Dr. McArton, grandfather of Stuart Forrester and Winston Shoemaker, came to Paisley and served the community as a talented citizen until his death in 1910. During part of this interval, doctors Wilson, Campbell, Gray and Hall served as itinerant doctors. They were followed by doctors Kalbfleisch and Morrison. More recently, Dr. Houston (until 1920), Dr. Gage (until 1926), Dr. Tucker (until 1948), Dr. Grove (until the late 1940’s), all maintained a high standard of proficiency in serving the medical needs of the people. Dr. D.H. Milne came to Paisley in 1948 and has, single handed, provided excellent medical service to the district. For a brief period, 1950-52, his nephew, Dr. D.A.D. Milne practised with him until the former left to set up practice in Kincardine.

Dr. & Mrs. McLaren

Advertising in the County of Bruce 1867 Directory

Dr. D. H. Milne M.D.

Dr. Donald H. Milne, was born in Bentick Township, Grey County. He attended school at Pearl Lake, in Brant Township, and Chesley High School, before going to University of Toronto, Where he obtained his degree, and after internship came to Cargill to practise as a General Practitioner. From 1941 to 1945 he served in the Air Force. After the death of Doctor Tucker, Dr. Milne came to Paisley in November 1948.

Bruce Co-op Medical Services

Condensed from the Paisley Advocate file March 30, 1972.
The Bruce Co-op Medical services began with quarters in the former Dr. R.]. Tucker offices on Queen Street South. Later it was moved to the present Remus apartments and later to rooms in the McKinnon Apartments on Queen Street, before the new building was built and officially opened in September 1964

The original Bruce Co-operative Medical Health Services began operations july lst, 1947 with Lorne B. Evans of town as manager and secretary-treasurer - a position which he held throughout the life of the services. The property for the new office building was donated by the town for the sum of $1.00. With the opening of the new office in 1964, four full-time and one part time employee were on staff besides Mr. Evans. With the advent of the combined government plan, OHIP, the Bruce Medical was forced to end its services as of April 1, 1972. Co-operative Health Services of Ontario still operate out of new offices in Willowdale.

Hope for Medical Centre

(from the Paisley Advocate - February 14, 1974)
Hopes for a new medical centre in the village were revived Tuesday night when representatives of the Bruce Trust Committee met with village council in a special session.
Council was told that a plan to remodel the former medical co-op building, previously turned down by Dr. Wm. Copeman, had now received approval in principle. Dr. Copeman is senior medical consultant to the program for Underserviced Areas. (Physicians).

The members of the TrusLGommittee presented a blueprint for tentative plans for remodelling the coop building to incorporate either two doctor’s offices, or a doctor’s and a dentist’s office, as deemed most essential to the community.

Cost of the conversion project, estimated at 15,000 dollars, would be borne by the Trust, which would hope to then sell the building to an individual or group. Trust members stressed the need for assurance of support and co-operation of the village council and the public, and early action to implement the proposal. The meeting was told that a doctor probably could be placed here by July if adequate accommodation were available.

To prove its good faith council passed a motion that “we the council of the village of Paisley, do support the proposal of the Bruce Trust to renovate their present building on Queen Street north for the purpose of a medical centre for the surrounding area.” Council will advertise for a doctor to occupy the office upon completion.

Rae's Nursing Home

In 1961, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Rae purchased David Forrester’s residence on Victoria Street, South. This fine old home was built in the 1860’s and occupied by the one-time reeve and druggist, D. Bain. Its tastefully landscaped grounds and spacious interior are ideally suited to its conversion into a nursing home.
The home can accommodate ten guests. This small community is fortunate in having a place that offers personal interest and a home-like atmosphere to senior citizens who are no longer able to live in their own homes.

Well-Baby Clinic

In 1948 the Women’s Institute volunteered two members each month to help a doctor and nurse at the Well-Baby Clinic in the Community Centre. This service is sponsored by the Bruce County Health Unit.





There were several travelling Dentists in the early years, but the first to have a regular office was Mr. Bird. He was followed by Mr. Robinson of Ottawa, and he by Mr. Robinson of Port Elgin, who worked one half week in each place. Mr. Martin opened an office but left again that summer. A.H. Allen bought out Robinson in June 1887. Dr. McKee opened an office above the present Gourmet Restaurant and practised there until 1925 when Dr. D.D. Campbell, a native of Paisley returned to his home to open an office in the flat now occupied by Miss Fewster. With the exception of a time when he was injured in an accident, and Dr. Bedell of Owen Sound kept his patients happy, Dr. Campbell remained here until his retirement. He moved to Orangeville and continued a minimal home practice until June 1968, when he returned to Paisley, where he passed away December 1968. Since then Paisley has not had the services of a resident dentist.

Return to top of Page
An Historic Album of Paisley
Return to top of Page